Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Post-Installation Configuration Failed When Re-Installing WSUS on Server 2016

I came across this issue today when I try to remove and re-install SUP and WSUS role from a ConfigMgr (CB) Server running on Widows Server 2016.

As usual I,

  • Declined and deleted all updates from ConfigMgr
  • Removed SUP
  • Removed WSUS role
  • Deleted C:\Program Files\Update Services folder
  • Deleted WsusContent folder and its parent
  • Restarted server
  • Deleted SUSDB

Everything went smoothly.

Then I reinstalled the WSUS role and launched post-installation configuration tasks and the error appeared.





















When I try to run post-installation configuration from Windows Server Updates Services under Tools in Server Manager, a message displayed "Microsoft Management Console Stopped Working" and the wizard crashed.

After some investigation I noticed that the newly created Update Services folder does not contain a Tools folder with WsusUtil.exe in it. I deleted this without keeping a backup (Very bad thing!). Then I did a search thinking there could be another WsusUtil.exe at some location. Luckily I found it under,

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_updateservices-common_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_4b7a6dabb16a0da5























Then I Created a folder inside Update Services folder, renamed it as Tools then pasted WsusUtil.exe inside it. Afterwards I re-ran the post-installation configuration and voila! it completed successfully.







No comments:

Post a Comment