Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Resolve "Client certificate: None" Issue in a SCCM Client

Few days ago in a project that I involve in to replace a customer's existing SCCM CB infrastructure with a completely new one, I faced this "Client certificate: None" issue in a couple of computers. In their environment there are 2 Stand Alone Primary Site Servers with different site codes; existing and new one. Site is configured to use HTTP or HTTPS.

I was using a script to change the clients' site code and management point from existing to new one. While most clients that I tested changed its site assignment without issue, couple of Windows 10 version 1607 clients had this issue.


I uninstalled the client and did a manual reinstall - no luck.
Uninstalled the client, deleted client certs in SMS folder reinstalled client - no luck.
Stopped ccmexec service, deleted client certs in SMS folder, restarted ccmexec service - still no luck.

When I checked ClientIDManagerStartup.log in client machine, it had this error:

[RegTask] - Server rejected registration request: 3














In Server logs; MP_RegistrationManager.log it had:

Client 'GUID:' did not use the required hash algorithm to sign message.
MP Reg: Registration request body is invalid.
MP Reg: Registration failed.










Upon close inspection of the ClientIDManagerStartup.log, I noticed that the client picks up a wrong certificate from the Personal store. So I had to specify from where can client get its certificate to register itself with the MP.

I configured following 2 settings.

In the Server, opened Administration > Site Configuration > Sites > Site Properties. In Client Computer Communication tab clicked on Modify.






















In Custom Store field entered: SMS




















And then when I'm installing the client, I used CCMCERTSTORE command line switch of Client.msi properties. So the installation string looked something like,

ccmsetup.exe /mp:MPSERVER /source:ClientSourceLocation SMSSITECODE=XXX CCMCERTSTORE=SMS








Then I did a client installation and voila!! Client certificate displayed as self signed and was able to register with the management point.


3 comments:

  1. Wow! This was a very useful tidbit of information! How can I learn more about these obscure settings?

    ReplyDelete